Today I begin. I begin to live with an attitude of gratitude. I tell my kids to be thankful all the time. Then I wonder, do they need to be told …. or do they need to be shown? Is gratitude something that is taught? ….. or caught?
It’s easy to get caught up in the daily to-do list around the house, running errands, wiping little noses, getting swept up in the scurry of BLESSINGS that are no longer counted as such.
That cluttered countertop? Be thankful. It means you have the blessings of modern appliances, the postal system as a means of communication, the funds to purchase coffee, and yes, toys for the kids.
Take a look around you. What do you see as you are seated in the comfort of your home? What does it tell you …. really, what does it tell you when you start seeing it as a blessing? It tells me I am blessed abundantly, beyond measure.
Today I begin. May I challenge you, Reader, to start counting your blessings too? There are still 293 days left in 2013. Begin today. Count just three blessings a day and you will amass nearly 1000 blessings before the end of the year! 1000 blessings! So very much to be thankful for. Start. Today. Do it.
- 3/13/13: I’m thankful for the blessing of the beautiful, bright sun filling my house with natural light and warmth.
- 3/13/13: I’m thankful for the blessing of friends – near and far – who are there for me and with me as I navigate this wonderful life. Hope to see you all in the next life!
- 3/13/13: OK. The clutter. Yes, I’ll be thankful for the blessing of the clutter too, because it tells me I lead a very FULL life.
- 3/13/13: And today I’ll be thankful for the time I’m given to CLEAN the clutter. I am a stay at home mom, afforded this time, and it is a blessing indeed!
- Just before the stroke of midnight on 3/14/13: I am blessed beyond measure with an automobile that navigates well in the MN winters!
- 3/14/13: I am oh-so-thankful for the gift of our 9 month old puppy, Dutch. He is a counter-surfer extraordinaire, but he loves us all, all the time – even when we are unlovable.
- 3/14/13: And today I am thankful for effective allergy meds since I’m not sure I’d manage well without them!
- 10/7/14: I’m thankful for the seasons and the gorgeous flaming fall leaves that dot the landscape.
- 10/7/14: I’m thankful for a loving husband who adores me and tries his very best to understand me.
- 10/7/14: I’m thankful for the ability to homeschool my youngest kiddos this year! We are having so much fun and they are seriously enjoying the learning process.
- 10/7/14: I so thankful to be part of a church that is alive, well, and proclaiming the GOOD NEWS of Jesus Christ!
- 10/7/14: I thankful for the unusually warm weather that we have had this fall. The cold and snow are inevitable, but being able to hold them at bay for a while is absolutely wonderful!
- 10/7/14: I’m thankful for good friends in every walk of life!
- 10/7/14: I’m really thankful for my new pink and lime green (yes, you read that correctly) Bible! 🙂
- 10/7/14: I’m thankful that Halloween candy is not available year round. Those *fun sizes* can get me into so much trouble!
- 10/7/14: I’m thankful for the life of my littlest man, who actually didn’t make it through the birth process, but was later revived. We celebrate him on his birthday … in just a bit more than a week from now.
- 10/7/14: I’m thankful for the quiet of the late nights. It gives me time to reflect on and savor all my gifts in this life!
- 10/7/14: I’m thankful for my 18yo son and his quick wit. He keeps me in my toes, but in a happy way!
- 10/7/14: I’m thankful for the academic ability of my 20yo son. At just 18 years of age, he was halfway through his college career, having amassed 72 college credits.
- 10/7/14: I’m thankful for the caring heart of my 3rd born son. The love he shows others far outshines his quick temper!
- 10/7/14: I’m so thankful to have found a martial arts family that our family can embrace. We have received a gift in the new friendships that we have developed over the past three years.
- 10/7/14: With the GIFT of a smartphone this year, I am SO thankful that I am now beginning to feel organized! I’m missing fewer appointments … AND I can keep the littles entertained while AT the appointments! A double blessing!
- 10/7/14: I’m thankful for the new/used leather sofa that we found on Craigslist for only $20.
- 10/7/14: I’m so thankful that we got our tire replaced for free when I drove over a screw in the road two weeks ago.
- 10/7/14: I’m thankful that I still have eight healthy fingers after having broken two of them within six weeks at karate.
- 10/7/14: I’m thankful for our new homeschool co-op, River of Life in Lindstrom, where our children are establishing healthy friendships with other like-minded kids.
- 10/7/14: I’m thankful for my Bonsai Tree bought for me with love by my husband. Maybe this is one I won’t unintentionally kill. He demonstrates his faith in my each time he brings home a live plant!
- 10/7/14: I’m thankful for extended family. While I always wish I had more time to spend with them, I know they love me, near or far.
- 10/7/14: I’m so thankful for the abundance of books that we have, for it means we will never have to experience a dull moment.
- 10/7/14: I’m so very, very thankful for my new Vitamix Blender. We have had so many enjoyable smoothies in the past three months!
- 10/7/14: I’m thankful for my membership with our local food buying co-op. Because of that, our family is able to eat mostly organic food at very affordable prices.
- 10/7/14: I’m incredibly thankful for my new hobby – knitting – and my knitting friends.
- 10/7/14: I’m thankful that I have yarn (MUCH yarn) with which to create wonderful knit projects!
- 10/7/14: Did I mention my incredible Addi Turbo Click knitting needles? I’m really thankful for those. They make knitting so very enjoyable!
- 10/7/14: I’m thankful for WordPress.com – My avenue to my creative expression!